Re: Naming a screen section

Subject: Re: Naming a screen section
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Kevin Feeman <Kevin -dot- Feeman -at- micromass -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:20:08 -0500

Kevin Feeman wrote:

> Lean/All
>
> You are entitled to your opinion, though I do not agree with you. I just
> think that way too many people use this list as a resource to questions and
> problems that they probably could/should solve themselves, as being an
> effective technical communicator. This topic has been bounced around before,
> and I am not intending to get it going again. I have deleted such messages
> in the past when they talk about inappropriate questions for the list. I
> think that people need to take more responsibility of coming up with data
> instead of running to the list as a "last resort." There are many more ways
> to research information than typing an email. But I digress. Not saying
> that you were using this list this way, it is just an observation that I
> have made of the list over the last several months. I have the same sort of
> developers here, and part of the challenge that I like is coming up with
> names for things that right now have no names. Well, signing off now, have a
> happy new year Techwr-lers!

Kevin, I wonder how many times you have been under pressure to come up
with an answer, when your overly hyper supervisor doesn't understand
that you don't have the answer at you fingertips.
When I was in law school, I took a course in legal research. The final
examination consisted of a three page fact pattern, with one question.
"What is the first book you would consult in researching this problem
and why?" I answered, "the telephone book to find out who had similar
problems to save hours of research." I got an A+ for the answer.

--

Peter

Procrastinators Unite!... Tomorrow