RE: New Hires

Subject: RE: New Hires
From: shelly -dot- l -dot- hazard -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:02:50 -0800

Another comment on this...

There is a difference between asking for training to make yourself more
efficient and simply not being capable of learning on your own. You can
learn a new software package on your own, but the learning curve will be
long and you will not be efficient in its use. On the other hand, if you
take a training course, you can come up to speed on the package much quicker
and be more efficient in its use. Does this mean that you won't make a good
technical writer? I would think it makes you a better one because you
understand the need for efficiency as well as training.

To give a 'real-life' example, I needed to learn RoboHelp for the current
project I'm working on. At the time I needed to learn, I was swamped with
work being the only technical writer in the company and I literally didn't
have time to come up to speed and produce help files within a couple of
months AND do everything else I needed to do. So I asked work to send me to
a three-day training session put on by Blue Sky. I know I have enough
understanding that I can competently make help files on my own. Am I an
expert? No, of course not - but I have enough information to produce
something without wasting a lot of time learning. Could I have learned it
on my own? Of course, but not that quickly to reach the level I am now
capable of.

My 2c worth....

Shelly