Asking for tool training (was New Hires)

Subject: Asking for tool training (was New Hires)
From: "Jan Stanley" <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:38:51 -0500

>> In any case, if a technical writing candidate asks for tool
>> training it is a sure sign they don't have what it takes to
>> be a technical writer.

You know, I just don't think it's as black and white as that.
I'm darn good at learning software (both the software that I
document and the software that I use to produce documentation --
yes, I've used Word to produce 400+ page manuals). I can figure
things out, look things up, and ask SMEs questions with the best
of 'em. But I've done it both ways, and I know that taking a
class in a software tool -- if it's from a good teacher -- can
give me a jump start and get me using the tool at a higher level
more quickly that I would have just by learning it on my own.
From an employer's point of view, the company's bucks might be
better spent sending me to a class for a day or two or three than
having me noodle around with something for days or weeks when
there are other tasks at hand.

Jan Stanley
janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net