RE: WORD numbering problem

Subject: RE: WORD numbering problem
From: "Sharon Deitch" <Sharon -at- eshbel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:25:17 +0200

Benzi (and Sarah and anyone else who is interested),

You don't have to go so far as a macro to create easy-to-manage numbered
lists in Word.

Yes, create a style with the hanging indent, etc and use the LISTNUM fields,
but define them as AutoText instead. I have two defined, one for "1."
(defined as !!) and one for the rest of the list (defined as @@). This way,
I don't have to futz around with a macro every time I want a numbered list
item.

If I add an item in the middle of the list, I simply select the rest of the
items and press F9 to update the fields. I've had no problems at all with
managing lists in this manner.

HTH,
Sharon

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
Eshbel Technologies Ltd.
sharon -at- eshbel -dot- com

>I recently had to create a Word template that included a style for numbered
lists. >After much research and help from listers, I abandoned Word's
built-in >numbering (it is too unstable) in favor of using the LISTNUM field
and macros.