TANGENT: What do they do now?

Subject: TANGENT: What do they do now?
From: "Ed Gregory" <edgregory -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:23:39 -0000

First, let me acknowledge that a lot of hard work went into making
systems Y2K ready. I did some of that work myself. As a technical writer,
some of my best SME's were Y2K consultants.
At the same time, I am happy to know that my mailbox will contain fewer
and fewer "sky is falling" messages (some of which continued to arrive
yesterday after half of the globe made the transition without so much as a
sniffle.)

So I offer the following Monday morning Y2K scenario:

Campaign worker:
"So what qualifies you to work in our campaign as a political speech
writer?"

Job applicant:
"I wrote a Y2K newsletter that had hundreds of thousands of believers."

Campaign worker:
"You're hired. We just fired a speech writer who did too much research to be
effective."

Job applicant:
"Thanks. Can I get a cash advance? I spent my savings on C-rations, a
generator, and ammunition."

Campaign worker:
"Your fired. We need someone to help us lead the gullible, not be gullible.
Next applicant, please."

Job applicant #2:
"I charged the public millions for books and seminars on how to prepare
themselves for the Y2Chaos. In fact, I just saw one of my best customers
come in here before me."

Campaign worker:
"He's history, but you're hired. We need somebody who understands the
relationship between fear and cash flow. By the way, what did you do with
the money?"

Job applicant #2:
"I invested in international stocks and global funds that were bargains
after I helped instill fears about a third-world meltdown."

Campaign worker:
"You're fired. Your investments will soar and you'll cash out before the
campaign is over. Next applicant, please..."

Job applicant #3:
"Have you guys got any water? I'll trade you some bullets for a gallon of
water."

Campaign worker:
"We already have a candidate. Next applicant please."

Job applicant #4 (via email):
"Hey, I think I can help you. I knew all along that there was nothing wrong
and I'm even writing some humor about out-of-work Y2K consultants."

Campaign worker reads attempted humor, gags, hits the message delete key.
You should, too.